Higher education faces unique challenges for email security and compliance. Users are more diverse, ranging from researchers to professors to medical staff to students. University email usage also varies, as professors and researchers will interface with colleagues and partners, while students may interface on a more personal level with family and friends. Proofpoint recognizes that email must be kept free flowing so that information and ideas can be shared, and must provide both inbound and outbound threat protection so that data, information, and email accounts are not compromised. Proofpoint email security solutions for universities keep malware, spam, and targeted attacks such as phishing out of your user's mailboxes. Proofpoint email privacy solutions also safeguard personal information, such as student and patient records, as well as cutting-edge research projects.
- Bi-directional threat protection: Best-in-class email protection from spam, phishing, malware, and viruses.
- Pre configured compliance policies: Using Smart Identifiers and Managed Dictionaries to accurately detect and encrypt emails containing personal information, such as student records, professors, or administrators.
- Native Email Encryption: Proofpoint Encryption provides easy-to-use email encryption, backed by a strong policy engine that ensures all sensitive content is protected before it leaves the organization. All encrypted messages are branded to your university or organizations requirements. Recipients of Proofpoint encrypted emails follow extremely simple steps to authenticate and access their messages. No pre-registration or exchange of encryption keys is required to use Proofpoint Encryption; ad-hoc email encryption is fully supported.
- Document fingerprinting: Detect sensitive content, such as information about research projects. Proofpoint Enterprise Privacy has the ability to fingerprint unstructured data, such as sensitive documents and protect the information from unauthorized or accidental transmission. Proofpoint Enterprise Privacy can detect sensitive data even if the document format has changed – such as a simple paragraph from a Microsoft Word document that had been copied into the body of an email.
» For healthcare at universities, see our healthcare section.
- Detect targeted attacks (phishing) and traditional threats (spam and viruses) that are aimed at hotel employees, travel agents, and airline personnel:
The Proofpoint Threat Classification Engine can accurately block spam and other unsolicited emails from reaching your employees inboxes, keeping them productive. Using the Proofpoint Threat Classification Engine, you can also detect and block phishing messages, keeping them away from end users mailboxes and their spam quarantine. Proofpoint's Threat Classification Engine is the only technology in the industry that will separate targeted attacks from older, nuisance spam. As an administrator, your email security and compliance solution should be making the distinction between spam and phishing messages; your end users should not be making split second security decisions when releasing emails from their spam digest, bulk mail digest, or spam quarantine or junk folders.
- Ensure that both inbound and outbound email communication policies adhere to state and government regulations without impacting the flow of email:
Proofpoint provides multi-layered data loss prevention to accurately detect sensitive information, such as credit card numbers, customer loyalty numbers, or employee records, within an email or attachment. Once detected, our solution can be configured to warn the sender about acceptable use policies, who can self-remediate these violations. The email will then be encrypted and sent to its recipient without relying on administrative or compliance officer intervention, reducing administrative effort and help desk calls.
Other use cases:
Customers sending an email to concierge staff or travel agents that contain personal information, such as credit card numbers, passport numbers, or drivers license numbers.
Airline personal or travel agents sending or receiving personal information throughout the reservation process (within an email or attachment), such as a passport number, a driver’s license number, or credit card information.
- Protect your organization’s most valuable assets – your brand and customer trust:
Administrators have access to real time reports and message tracing functionality to monitor your outbound mail stream for a compromised desktop, laptop, or account. Compliance officers have access to data loss incidents through an easy-to-use interface that provides custom reporting.
- Inbound and outbound detection and encryption of sensitive data: Only Proofpoint can detect sensitive content, such as credit cards within spreadsheets that are emailed to your employees.
- Self-remediation: Only Proofpoint provides workflow to educate users about email usage policies, allowing them to self-remediate (send encrypted) without administrative intervention.
- DLP workflow and dashboard: Only Proofpoint provides a consolidated view of all email related data loss incidents across your entire organization.