Proofpoint Launches Digital Risk Defense, First to Extend Integrated Phishing and Fraud Defense Across Critical Digital Channels
Sunnyvale, Calif.—February 14, 2017 – Proofpoint, Inc., (NASDAQ: PFPT), a leading next-generation security and compliance company, today announced the industry’s first unified social, mobile, web, and email fraud and phishing detection and protection solution to provide visibility and address threats outside of the traditional security infrastructure of companies. This growing arena of digital risks targets more than the employees of a company. Cybercriminals leverage a variety of channels, including fraudulent social accounts, fraudulent mobile apps, and fraudulent email domains for both consumer and business email compromise (BEC) phishing. Leveraging shared risk visibility across Proofpoint’s Nexus threat intelligence platform, Proofpoint Digital Risk Defense protects organizations from cybercriminals exploiting the company brand to fraudulently phish their customers, partners and vendors.
Social media phishing attacks alone were up 500 percent over the course of 2016 , highlighting that cybercriminals have modernized their techniques in order to take advantage of the gap between the adoption of digital technology and the adoption of effective security controls. Legacy protection technologies and approaches are not designed to cover the key digital channels of social, mobile, email, and web and lack the modern detection capabilities and cross-channel context to keep up with the attacks, which creates greater risk for companies expanding their digital footprint.
“Without comprehensively and persistently monitoring risk in digital channels, companies remain susceptible to a wide variety of brand, cyber, and physical risk events,” wrote Forrester Research analyst, Nick Hayes in The Forrester Wave™: Digital Risk Monitoring, Q3 2016. Later in the same report, he wrote: “Proofpoint stands above the rest of the pack with its strong portfolio of patents related to digital risk monitoring, including capabilities to automatically lock down brand-owned social media accounts when malicious activity is detected.”
Proofpoint is delivering an omnichannel digital risk suite to combat this new wave of digital fraud and phishing to provide unique coverage for modern digital risks, such as:
- Angler Phishing on social media customer care accounts
- Social engineering and visual spoofing in fraudulent web domains, social accounts, and emails making fakes appear as the genuine brand
- Fraudulent web domains in social and email phishing campaigns
- Fake branded mobile apps designed for phishing brand customers
“Strategic mitigation and response for phishing and brand exploitation need to be incorporated into every organization’s cybersecurity plan,” said Devin Redmond, general manager and vice president of Digital Risk & Compliance Solutions for Proofpoint. “Proofpoint Digital Risk Defense is the only unified social, mobile, web, and email fraud and phishing detection and protection solution that looks beyond the traditional communication perimeter and addresses the growing danger of digital risks in real time across all of the primary customer engagement channels. Our unified visibility into active digital consumer phishing campaigns across email, social, mobile, and the web, combined with our patented protection capabilities allows organizations to confidentially engage customers and partners digitally while helping reduce their risk.”
In addition to more complete visibility, context, and coverage, Proofpoint brings patented and patent-pending capabilities for assessing and remediating risks in real time on or from social accounts, mobile apps, phishing emails, web domains, and websites delivering this unified coverage and product suite with the following modules:
- Fraudulent Social Account, Mobile App and Web Domain Discovery – Automatically find, track, assess risk, and report phishing and fraudulently branded: social media accounts, web domains (including visual spoofing), consumer email campaigns, and mobile apps (across more than 500 stores)
- Correlated Conviction Across Channels— Proofpoint Social, Mobile, and Web Discover modules can detect and classify fraudulent brand presence automatically while working in unison to further convict the entire attack chain involved in Angler Phishing or consumer email phishing by correlating the fake social accounts, mobile apps, web domains, and brand emails being used
- Automated, Real-time Remediation and Blocking – Proofpoint delivers the only patented capabilities for automatically removing phishing content on social media along with the ability to block phishing campaigns, and phishing accounts as well as provide takedown reporting for fraudulent brand presence across digital channels
Additional functionality includes deep visibility, reporting and ecosystem intelligence sharing:
- Unified Digital Risk Dashboard – View all digital risk activity across all four channels, view trends and risk scores over time, drill into detailed incident views, see remediation and takedown results while setting up automated reports by role, and more
- Ecosystem Intelligence Sharing – Consume and view all digital risk activity in leading security operations center (SOC) solutions, like Splunk, as well as validate and share content risk assessment with other leading security infrastructures, including Palo Alto Networks Wildfire
For more information about Proofpoint Digital Risk Protection, please visit www.proofpoint.com/digital-risk. RSA Conference 2017 attendees please visit Proofpoint booth 3327 in the North Expo: www.proofpoint.com/rsa.
About Proofpoint, Inc.
Proofpoint Inc. (NASDAQ: PFPT) is a leading next-generation security and compliance company that provides cloud-based solutions to protect the way people work today. Proofpoint solutions enable organizations to protect their users from advanced attacks delivered via email, social media and mobile apps, protect the information their users create from advanced attacks and compliance risks, and respond quickly when incidents occur. More information is available at www.proofpoint.com.
- Q4 2016 Threat Summary and Year in Review, February 7, 2017
Proofpoint is a trademark or registered trademark of Proofpoint, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks contained herein are the property of their respective owners