- A successful phishing campaign at Middlesex Hospital affected the personal information of approximately 950 patients. The hospital responded by offering free credit monitoring for a year, but said the information did not include direct access to full medical records or Social Security Number.
- Tax season in the United Kingdom is in full-swing, and with it, millions of people are being targeted with phishing emails that claim to be from the HRMC. Tax season is also ramping up in the United States, and scammers are delivering fake IRS emails with a nasty malware payload.
- A Moldovan man ran a phishing scheme that resulted in a loss of $3.5 million for a western Pennsylvania drilling firm. A school district was almost tricked by the same scam into wiring almost a million dollars.
- Time Warner customer? The company said that up to 320,000 customers may have had their passwords compromised by a targeted phishing attack, and urged these customers to reset the passwords on their accounts.
- A Facebook page named ‘Facebook Security’ that warns “Your page will be disabled” is making the rounds which redirects you to a phishing site designed to steal your login information.
- On December 23 in Ukraine approximately 700,000 lost power when an electricity provider was compromised by a phishing attack. Hackers used the phishing attack to insert malicious software into the systems that shut power down and prevented the systems from rebooting.
- Get a ‘WhatsApp’ notification claiming you missed a voice notification? Hackers have been using multiple subject lines in an extensive phishing attack on users worldwide. The email contains a malware executable in a zip attachment.