Cybersecurity Terms Among the Latest Dictionary Entries
With the onslaught of cybersecurity threats, breaches, and espionage, new words are constantly being created to describe these acts and technologies. Some words have stuck and become part of our everyday conversations about online security and cyber threats. CNN recently shared an update of new word entries you’ll find in dictionaries.
Check out these 5 cybersecurity words that weren’t included in some dictionaries just 6 months ago…but now they’re official:
- Click fraud - the practice of repeatedly clicking on a specific web advertisement, simply to raise the cost to the marketer.
- Clickbait - refers to something designed to make readers want to click on a link, especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest.
- Cyber theft - theft carried out by means of computers or the Internet.
- Cyberwarrior - a computer expert engaged in the infiltration or sabotage of information systems, or in the defense of information systems against outside attack, typically for strategic or military purposes.
- Spear phishing - the fraudulent practice of sending emails ostensibly from a known or trusted sender in order to induce targeted individuals to reveal confidential information.