Cybersecurity threats against healthcare facilities are on the rise. In 2022, Proofpoint worked with Ponemon to survey the industry so that we could gain a better understanding of the biggest cyber threats and how they endanger patient safety. Now we’ve partnered again.
In the second annual Study on Cyber Insecurity in Healthcare 2023, Ponemon surveyed 653 IT and IT security practitioners to find out how much progress the industry has made in the past year. And the results are truly eye opening. Here are just a few highlights from this year’s report:
- 88% of organizations experienced an average of 40 attacks in the past 12 months
- The average total cost of a cyber attack was nearly $5 million, a 13% increase from the previous year
- 64% of organizations suffered a supply chain attack in the past two years. Among this group, 77% said these attacks impacted patient care
- 63% of organizations had an average of 21 cloud compromises during the past two years
- Ransomware is no longer considered a top threat—only 48% are worried about these attacks
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) attacks are a growing concern—62% say they’re vulnerable
- Malicious insiders are the No. 1 cause of data loss and exfiltration
Download the report now to access the full survey results.