Communication and collaboration tools like Microsoft Teams have been vital for keeping businesses operating during the COVID-19 pandemic and helping them be successful in the shift to remote work. But the use of these tools can increase compliance and security risks, which is why many organizations are more focused than ever on ensuring their Microsoft Teams is secure and making Microsoft Teams security a high priority.
Is Microsoft Teams secure? Proofpoint offers solutions that can help your organization enhance Microsoft Teams security best practices, mitigate data loss, and comply with retention and supervision rules. Here’s a quick overview of some of the products offered, how to ensure your Microsoft Teams is secure, and how you can address any Microsoft Teams security challenges:
Microsoft Teams security challenge: mitigating people-centric compliance risk
Compliance risk starts with people. With Proofpoint Content Capture, compliance teams can rest assured that they’re capturing and managing the content that employees create on the Microsoft Teams channel. Our connector captures text-based content as well as multimedia, including images, emojis, and attachments. And our people-centric approach makes this content easy for you to search and supervise with a few key steps to keep things secure:
- Associate each message with an identity at the organization
- Capture the message together with conversational context, including metadata, threading information and contextual details such as previous posts in a conversation
- Deliver the content and context to your repository, whether it’s the Proofpoint Enterprise Archive or a third-party product
Microsoft Teams security challenge: capturing, managing, and tracking digital communications
Content Capture features more than 30 connectors, covering a wide set of the most popular communication platforms used within organizations. You get a single solution for capturing and managing your digital communications, including:
- Chat and collaboration apps
- Social media
- Text messaging
- File-sharing applications
- And more
Supported platforms include (but aren’t limited to):
- Microsoft Teams
With optional add-on products, Proofpoint offers more compliance benefits that are unique in the marketplace. You can pair Content Capture with Compliance Gateway to ensure downstream services receive captured content. And with Proofpoint Content Patrol, you can monitor social media at scale and remediate risky content in real-time. You can also manage the unique risks associated with these public channels while enabling employees to connect with customers.
And, of course, it’s easy to pair Content Capture with the full Proofpoint compliance suite to gain even more benefits across Microsoft Teams and other communication channels. This suite includes the award-winning Proofpoint Archive, Proofpoint Intelligent Supervision, and more. The full solution offers end-to-end compliance risk protection under a single pane of glass to be certain that Microsoft Teams is secure.
Microsoft Teams security challenge: preventing data loss
With the shift to remote work and increased adoption of collaboration tools like Microsoft Teams, it’s more apparent than ever that people are the perimeter. Data loss also originates from people. They can be negligent, or an external threat actor could compromise them. Or they can be malicious actors, looking for financial or political gain.
Proofpoint Cloud App Security Broker (CASB) extends our people-centric security and compliance to Microsoft Teams. CASB combines content, user behavior, and threat telemetry for cloud apps to detect compromised accounts and monitor data handling, allowing you to address the full spectrum of people-centric data-loss scenarios comprehensively. With CASB, you can enhance Microsoft Teams security (and your overall security) by:
- Addressing the full range of data risk from negligent, compromised and malicious users
- Shortening the time to discover and protect regulated cloud data with out-of-the-box data loss prevention (DLP) policies to stay in compliance with mandates related to Payment Card Information (PCI), Personally Identifiable Information (PII), Protected Health Information (PHI), and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Deploying consistent DLP across email, cloud apps, and endpoints as part of the people-centric Enterprise DLP solution from Proofpoint
- Simplifying day-to-day operations by unifying DLP incident management across multiple cloud apps and channels
Cross-platform integrations across advanced email security, security awareness training, and CASB help you identify how users pose a risk to your organization—further improving your Microsoft Teams security best practices. Then, you can segment your employees according to their potential risks and apply appropriate security and compliance controls for each group. This process helps you focus and prioritize your resources for Microsoft Teams security based on risk.
CASB-supported cloud applications include (but aren’t limited to):
- Microsoft 365, including Microsoft Teams
- G Suite
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Microsoft Azure
Discover more information on how Proofpoint can protect your people and data with superior security and compliance tools for Microsoft 365. Also, learn more about Proofpoint Content Capture and how it can support Microsoft Teams security best practices.
Subscribe to the Proofpoint Blog